Sunday 18 September 2016

Tips on dealing with emotional responses

Imagining your emotions as clouds in the sky – watch them float by in their own time, eventually passing out of sight.

Take 10 deep, slow breaths.

 Utilise a feelings/emotions chart to try to identify what I am feeling and grade its intensity.

Visualise the feelings as a wave – ride the wave into the shore.

 Sit and tolerate the anxiety/distress/unpleasant feelings.

Take opposite action.

Count up and backwards in 3’s, 4’s, 6’s, 7’s, etc.

 Engage in a relaxation activity.

Identify 3 things I can see, 3 things I can hear, 3 colours I notice, what I can smell, and textures I can feel.

Journal P.E.A.C.E. – Pause – take a few breaths to ground me and take me back into the role of an observer; Examine – and observe with curiosity what I am feeling and where I am feeling it. Recognise and label the emotion. Allow – accept the distress of the emotion. Compassion – say kind words to myself…the same words I would say to a hurting child or good friend and comfort myself. Engage – rather than ‘reacting’, ‘respond’ in a way that aligns with my values and how I would like to act in the midst of this emotion.